20 March 2013

Pinafore Progression

Pinafore Progression. Pinafore, River Island/ Wooden wedges, Kurt Geiger/ Bandeau,  found in a little shop in Spain/ Jewellery, Tiffany & Co. and Swarovski
There is no denying my love for dungarees or overalls- which ever way you choose to name and glamourise these simple garments derived from its origin of mens workwear. My love started early, being placed in an array of coloured denim, patterned or just that plain trusty blue denim from a young age by my Bananarama loving mother. If you don't know who Bananarama are: Google and you will understand. These nostalgic memories of the uncomplicated dungarees and childhood adventures weaved their way into my style as i grew out of youth and into adulthood, see my post Overall, A Good Look for my personal take and to witness my love for them.
As dungarees have made a triumphant come back in fashion over the past few seasons and continue to make head way in to next, it becomes apparent that the dungaree has evolved. Advertised as a 'Dungaree Dress' or an 'Overall Dress', not only does this bug me because it's wrong but it is also making the truth of what it is less fashionable. These items are no more or no less pinafores. Another piece of clothing which has given me plenty of childhood memories and which i have rediscovered my affection for. A tricky garment which i held a love hate relationship with as a school child- one week they were cool the next week not so much and the week after definitely not! A continuos circle until you reached the age of 6 (i clearly began discovering myself from an extraordinarily young age!)when they became uniform for little girls. Oh the hilarious thought of a school child. 
This time however now i'm older and no longer dictated to by the playground, (perhaps ever so slightly by the fashion magazines) i can appreciate the simplicity and innocence of this garment. I hope i can now convert you to be pinafore proud people....
I actually wore this a few weeks ago, on Mother's Day to be exact and have been meaning to make a post. This outfit was very relaxed despite those heels- which are amazingly comfortable! I chose this pinafore as it was in one of my all time favourite and comfort colours: Black. The length is something which i adore, there are so many mini skirts or oh so short numbers out in the world right now and i wanted something which could be worn to a serious or more formal occasion. Not always having to check your hemline- like you do on those ever rising teeny tiny skirts/dresses is an added bonus.  Nearly all jewellery i wore was gifted to me by my mother as well as my incredible head of hair. This outfit is one that could easily be worn for a evening/night out with friends as long as a few tweaks are applied here and there. But generally this is one of my best, new laid-back, cool outfits.
Those long summer lunches cannot come quick enough now!

1 comment:

  1. Those long summer boozy lunches will be extremely fashionable miss lyden!!!

    ReplyDelete